to the artists, designers and craftspeople who think I call their work kitsch... this is NOT the case, it refers to my own work

Mar 3, 2011

repurposed lighting at AAF + update

My kind of thing ... turning objects into something different than their original purpose.

Old and new gardenhoses (still working) turned into lights and furniture.



Sander Bokkinga - bok. hosepipe furniture collection (have a look at his other series with more nice designs) 







A few funny 'aliens' by ...




These two artists at the Affordable Art Fair remind me of remarks I get occasionally on my work; a work of art is not supposed to have a function (as here it is lighting and furniture and thus it is more design than art). 

A few days ago I got a very interesting reaction of the second artist, Tanguy de Le Hoye, and I totally agree with his point of view:

This negative kind of definition seems to be a logical error such as: art does not have a utilitarian function (true) so that a utility function is not (or less) art.

The light that I put in some of my works is my way to add movement and therefore life into it. The use of it as a lamp is only one consequence. It is somehow like a chair, developed to sit on, can serve as a stepladder or its back as a coat rack.
If we followed the reasoning function the non-illuminated fish also present on the stand at the AAF would have a higher artistic value than the "lights", as if illuminating devalued the object. A chair is not less a chair because one hangs a coat on it...
That being written, I have trouble accepting being told that I am an artist (what is it? where do we the draw the line? Is it important? ...), I do not work like this. All this seems ambiguous, it could be summed up: "I do not like people to tell me what I am, as I do not like being told what I am not, what is important for me is what I do. "





I tried to explain my point of view on the subject in this previous post:



the remark about the chair reminded me of this one I made years ago




 


more AAF, click label below

No comments: