to the artists, designers and craftspeople who think I call their work kitsch... this is NOT the case, it refers to my own work

Sep 25, 2007

flowers against mines - flowers for peace



photos by Jef Ryckeboer

ceramic artist Anita Huybens is an extraordinary woman.
in the course of her life she deals with difficult and hard experiences,
but she has this almost supernatural strength and willpower
to put up very successful projects to help other people.
she is able to raise a whole 'army' of enthusiastic volunteers

with this project she raises funds for APOPO
This organisation de-mines fields in Mozambique
so that local people in the villages get back their farmlands


Why poppies?
they refer to the well known symbol of the first World War
to commemorate the fallen soldiers

this is the 6th event where these ceramic poppies are sold
a 1.000 poppies are planted in a field

each one is a unique flower

for those people who are in Belgium,
the next field is on
Sunday September 30th
in Louvain-La-Neuve at the lake
starts at 14h00
info on APOPO : http://www.apopo.org/
info on the flowers for peace : http://www.klaprozen.be/
UPDATE
all posts on the flowers against mines - flowers for peace : HERE

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the Flowers against mines, they are so vivid so strong, beautiful!
Leen

PLUMe said...

I love That. Between art and landart. coll to see a blog with art actuality. thanks for this

hildA said...

thank you.
I will transfer your comment on the flowers to Anita, the artist. she doesn't have a site of her own.

Barbara said...

This is a great project. We bought a poppy last week at Lineart in Gent, but unfortunately our 1 year old son grabbed it looking for some stability and the popy fell on the floor.

Any idea where we can buy a new one? Is there a store somewhere or can you opnly buy it at 'flower fields'?

hildA said...

Thank you Barbara for supporting this great project.
I went to see Anita, the artist, today. There are no shops selling these flowers as the whole benefit is for the project. A few private persons in Belgium have flowers for sale at their homes. If you let me know in which area you work or live, I could give you a contact in your area. Anita promised me to send me information on all the contact persons tonight.
Please use my email address, you will find it on my profile under 'contact'.
thanks again.