to the artists, designers and craftspeople who think I call their work kitsch... this is NOT the case, it refers to my own work

Sep 15, 2008

playing with stones and men ...

Last week a friend asked his friends to bring a stone and build a stoneman. None of us ever made one. But I look at pictures of stonemen almost everyday, going through flickr or land art blogs, I think they're fascinating. I just never have the time to build one. So this was an occasion to have a go at it.

First : exercising for a quarter of an hour in my garden with left over stones from paving the court yard. The wind decided it wasn't a good one, after half an hour it fell over, that was that.

...

A few hours later the stoneman was build at the friends' house, and wonder ... it worked well, in a few minutes it was up. no picture here, it is a private 'monument' All the different shapes and sizes and colours fit perfectly.

So today I picked up the stones from my exercise and decided to put them in a different way and surprise, it took me two minutes to build. And hey ... a few hours later it is still standing. My first - tiny - stoneman.

OK, it is not land art yet, but I was very much inspired by all the beautiful pictures I have seen these last years, and I'm so happy I've tried it myself. Now find time to make more stonemen is a problem, but this one is definitely not my last one.
It is not building the stoneman that takes time, it is finding the right stones to build one.

4 comments:

PLUMe said...

very nice test

Anonymous said...

Making them you are working and living in your own environment and that gives you that feeling for more...

Anonymous said...

Hey emmanuel,
Here we meet again.

hildA said...

thanks for the comments, and this is nice ... people meeting on my blog.
I wish I could offer you a glass of applejuice from our homegrown apples. pressed only two hours ago.