to the artists, designers and craftspeople who think I call their work kitsch... this is NOT the case, it refers to my own work

Nov 21, 2007

light up the dark days

As Christmas is approaching I'm thinking of how to bring more light into my house this year. Every year I try to do it somehow different without buying ready made items. It is in this time of year that they're is a need for more light as the dark evenings and nights are very long. That is the original meaning of the Yule-fest : the celebration of the light, the solstice of winter where the daylight starts to come back. So the decoration I use has always something to do with light. Yesterday I felt the urge to try something new in my 'pillar' series (the slide show on the right called Honderdwater), but without the mosaic. The new columns will be topped by a glass globe with light. This one is just a quick 'sketch', things are likely to change before it is finished. I hope to make a few of them the next weeks. But they're definitely not just Christmas decoration.


No comments: