to the artists, designers and craftspeople who think I call their work kitsch... this is NOT the case, it refers to my own work

May 17, 2010

I Medici - A Renaissance in paper



A Dutch friend invited us to an exhibition we hadn't heard of.  It was not quite the event I would have noticed in the announcements, but I'm very glad we saw it. 

Isabelle de Borchgrave causes wonderment at the transformation of a simple sheet of white paper.  Through the magic of trompe l'oeil she walks us through history meeting one of the most prestigious families in Italian history: the Medici. 

Extraordinary craftsmanship with stunning details.












I was so intrigued by the details - even the heavy jewelry and delicate lace is made from paper and ultra thin slices of corrugated cardboard - that I actually forgot to capture the full costumes, some 30 in total.



Isabelle de Borghrave
I Medici - A Renaissance in paper
until 29th of August 2010 at the Royal Museum of Art & History - Brussels - Belgium
www.imedici.net
www.kmkg.be
There is a great Museum shop with beautiful affordable gifts.

No comments: