to the artists, designers and craftspeople who think I call their work kitsch... this is NOT the case, it refers to my own work

May 27, 2009

Richard Jackson - part 2 - the Upside down Room



At Hauser & Wirth in the Löwenbräuareal-Zürich
'The upstairs gallery houses Upside Down Room, a kinetic installation Richard Jackson made in 1996 but which has never been shown before. This is a space of its own with two sets of walls, the outer made of black and white striped paintings, the inner of steel perforated with tiny circles. As the viewer enters the piece the outer walls turn by 180 degrees disturbing their orientation.'









I did go into the room but did not wait until the walls turned to be trapped for the next ten minutes. I wasn't sure that I wasn't going to be sick by the visual effect. And after three hours of walking there was still a lot to visit after this.

No comments: